Author Topic: Review Maxpedition Spatha Laptop Bag  (Read 2628 times)

MIKE

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Fortune favors the prepared mind.
    • EDC PLANET
Review Maxpedition Spatha Laptop Bag
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Received my new Maxpedition Spatha Laptop Bag last week and I wanted to share my experience with the new bag so far.

The main reason for the purchase of this bag was to reduce the need to carry a backpack into meetings or the office every day. I was originally using a Rush 24 as my EDC/Laptop bag and it was becoming inconvenient to carry this bag everywhere I went, especially when you consider how much gear I have packed into it. To resolve this problem I made the decision to convert the Rush 24 into a hybrid BOB/GHB that I can leave in my vehicle. This allows me to carry a more compact bag for business meetings and trips to the office, while still having the ability to carry my essential EDC items.

My initial impression of the Spatha, like most Maxpedition gear, is how damn tough and robust the construction is. The bag is made from 1000-Denier that is infused with Teflon fabric protector. YKK zippers, paracord zipper pulls and high strength nylon webbing is used throughout. This thing is built to take a beating and should last for many years.

The Spatha features a straight forward pocket layout. There are two large zippered pockets on the front of the bag. Both pockets feature large hook & loop fields for patches or name tags. The internal configuration for each pocket is different, but they both offer lots of storage space. You can easily fit a Maxpedition EDC Pouch into each one with room left over. There are elastic loops inside the left pocket for quick access to pens, knives, multi-tools etc. The left pocket features two sleeves with a hook & loop strap for flashlights, cameras, cell phones etc. I'm still playing around with configurations.

The main compartment features two padded sleeves/pockets large enough for a 15" laptop and an iPad. There are also smaller sleeves for additional gear, such as small paper notebooks, headphones, business cards etc. One nice feature is the ability to secure both of the large padded sleeves via a 1" nylon strap with side release buckles. This is a great idea, because the internal material is somewhat slippery on my MacBook and I could see accidentally having it slide out when not paying attention.

The main compartment is also designed so the bag can be opened flat for TSA security checkpoints. It's not super easy to do this, because it requires you to undo the nylon retaining straps on both sides. I plan on adding a small carabiner to each side to make the transition quicker and easier.

There is a "hidden" CCW pocket that contains a large hook & loop field. This pocket is secured with very strong hook & loop, so it's not the easiest, fastest or quietest way to access your concealed firearm. But at least it gives you another option for concealed carry. 

The rear of the bag features a wide zippered pocket that contains a large hook & loop field, however it doesn't expand very much. A thick writing pad, binder or a small stack of folders is about all you're going to fit into it. I currently use it to carry the shoulder strap.

Maxpedition integrated a rear luggage strap on the back of the bag so you can attach it to your rolling luggage. This will come in handy for business trips.

Overall I'm very happy with this laptop bag. I like the durability, storage options and the semi-tactical look it provides. It's also allowed me to free up space in my Rush 24 Backpack and convert it into a dedicated BOB/GHB.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see additional pictures.
"It's better to be prepared for the unexpected, than to be unexpectedly unprepared".

XDSteve

• EDC Master
  • Being prepared is a great feeling...
Re: Review Maxpedition Spatha Laptop Bag
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
Great looking bag Mike. Thanks for your thoughts.
"America was created and preserved for over 200 years by armed, free men." -Unknown

w2edv

• EDC Apprentice
  • still searching for the perfect EDC
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
Mike

How effective/comfortable is carrying the Spatha, fully loaded, with the shoulder strap? Is it cushioned? I wish all shoulder straps were made by Tom Bihn.

Great review; I like the look of this bag.

Thanks for posting your impressions
- w2edv

TactiCool

• Charter Member
  • Global Moderator
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • Tactical Wingnut FB Page
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Nice rundown on the new bag, looks like another great product from Maxpedition.
"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace"  Thomas Paine

MIKE

• Owner
  • Administrator
    • EDC PLANET
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
Mike

How effective/comfortable is carrying the Spatha, fully loaded, with the shoulder strap? Is it cushioned? I wish all shoulder straps were made by Tom Bihn.

Great review; I like the look of this bag.

Thanks for posting your impressions

The shoulder strap is good on this bag. Cushioned and it grips your shoulder well. I chose to remove mine for now since I don't need it on a daily basis.
"It's better to be prepared for the unexpected, than to be unexpectedly unprepared".

AdmSlc

• EDC Master
  • Subscribe to me on YouTube. I'm 801revolutionary
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »
Great review!!

MIKE

• Owner
  • Administrator
    • EDC PLANET
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

PackinPockets

• EDC Journeyman
  • SeaDooin' whatcha gotta doo
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »
That my friend, is a great review of a very useful laptop bag!!

JOSH

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
Very nice, Mike. Great review!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FredT

• EDC Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Great review, Mike. I've had my eye on this bag recently. Been going back and forth on what to get. Want something that isn't overtly tactical or too big, but has good EDC storage. Was close to ordering a Timbuk2 bag that looks great but I'm concerned about laptop security (nothing secures it in the internal sleeve and it only has magnet closure on the front).

One thing you said was it has a "semi-tactical" look. I work in an office building and that's a concern. Could you elaborate on that a little more? Is it subtle enough to not draw much attention? Does color affect that? I really like the khaki/foliage combo.

Thanks!
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." -Maximus, "Gladiator"

Official Sponsors

Oakley Tactical Eyewear