Lens cleaners.

Discussion in 'Eyewear' started by kertap75, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kertap75

kertap75
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I know a lot of people love microfibercm clothes but when used dry they always seem to leave steaks for me. And since I don't carry a bag even a small spray bottle of lens cleaner can be a potentially messy hassle. So I always have a few pre moistened disposable lens cleaners in my pocket. Unfortunately all lens cleaners are not created equal. Here's a pic of 3 that I have in the house currently:
    [​IMG]all 3 were found at my local Wal-Mart. The zeiss wipe is the one they carry all the time at their optometrist (if I remember correctly). The other 2 can sometimes be found in their pharmacy. My favorite is the nice and clean. Just the right amount of moisture and for some reason I like the rectangular shape. They come I the box connected to second one bite unlike shone other brands I've never had a problem separating them without compromising the packaging.
    Second favorite is the zeiss. It seems like the amount of moisture and I like the packaging but I sometimes have rainbow streaks with this one.
    Least favorite out of these is the B&L. It is way too moist. You either need to open it and let it dry for a while or use a dry cloth after you clean.
    There are 2 others I recommend avoiding. First is trying Sears optical. I've bought these several times over several decades and every time I've had a very high percentage of dried out clothes because they were sealed wrong. The second is Target brand. These I dislike because they are heavily perfumed. Some people might like that (someone must or they wouldn't make them right?) but it's not for me. They also seem to leave more streaks then other brands.
    What does everyone else use?

mctacticool and EDCP-MIKE like this.
  2. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Charter Member

I tend to use a microfiber cloth after rinsing my eyewear off in the sink. When I'm on the go, I will use a lens cleaning towelette that we private label.
    safetyglassesusa_2270_79337308.jpg

mctacticool and kertap75 like this.
  3. SrAgri

SrAgri
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I tend to use a cotton handkerchief or microfiber cloth, depending on which is handier.

For an environmentally friendly lens cleaner, I wonder how a dropper bottle of vodka would do. Vodka cleans jewelry really well.

mctacticool and kertap75 like this.
  4. kertap75

kertap75
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I used to used to do the same as you but the new coatings on the plastic lenses scratch too easy. It's recommended that you never dry wipe even with a microfiber cloth. I wish my script was still mild enough for me to wear glass lenses.

mctacticool likes this.
  5. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i use the small microfiber cloth that came with my ps vita. it stays in one of the upper, front pockets in my bag so it's always within easy reach. it cleans very well and hardly weighs anything and doesn't take up much room.

i also have one on my desk here at home, one in my truck and there's one downstairs in the den.

mctacticool, EDCP-MIKE and kertap75 like this.
  6. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I went through a box of the Zeiss. I also found it streaked. It was usable for sunglasses where the streaks could be rubbed out, but I found it annoying for larger lenses like on a field scope or binoculars. I use one of those rocket puffers before I rub. Overall, they're fine for glass.

But I wouldn't dare use these alone on plastic lenses, not ones of any value anyway. I rinse them in water first. I just loathe scratches, and generally plastic lenses too, but got to compromise because I like the lightweight and rimless designs.

I'll also mention an ultrasonic cleaner again. I got one of the small ones that sell for about forty bucks (nowhere near lab equipment stuff). It works great to clean eyeglasses, sunglasses, and pocket knives. It cleans the lenses, the frame, hinges, nose-pads, etc. Works great.

kertap75 and mctacticool like this.